A message to our clients:

With the recent move to allow shops and offices to fully re-open, we will continue to review our policy on clients attending our offices. Currently, we are not inviting clients into the office but we are able to briefly meet with clients by appointment at the door of the office. Please note that face coverings are still required indoors until further notice. We remain committed to following the Government guidelines as rules continue to change in line with the easing of lockdown.

We continue to operate our business as usual across all the services that we offer our clients, both current and prospective.

We continue to offer teleconference-based or telephone consultations.. We are aware that not everyone has been offered full vaccination yet and understand that some people may feel safer continuing with socially distanced communications.

Our family and wills / probate solicitors continue to offer initial advice remotely by video conferencing and by telephone for up to one hour (as advertised on this website). Please call us if you would like to speak to one of our experts.

If you have a case in court, please telephone us so we can discuss representation.

We appreciate your patience, support and understanding over the past year since the restrictions related to the pandemic began. We hope you continue to stay safe, and wish you a brighter 2021!

Talk to a solicitor today 0117 973 1391

Civil partnerships were made law in 2005 and were intended for same-sex relationships.  In 2019, the law changed to allow opposite-sex couples to enter into a civil partnership.

Couples may decide to have a civil partnership rather than marriage, but there are important legal differences.

  • Some countries do not recognise civil partnerships, and therefore the laws of those countries may not confer the same rights as upon a married couple.
  • Adoptions may be difficult because of the legal status of the adopters not being recognised
  • Pension trustees may not recognise the rights of a civil partner, and pension rights may be lost.

The process to enter into civil partnership is that intention must be given at your local authority to enter into civil partnership and to register it.

If a same-sex couple choose to marry, you can convert to a marriage later, but an opposite-sex couple cannot.

In the event of a breakdown in a civil partnership, you would need to apply to the court for a dissolution, and the procedure is the same as a divorce.  Importantly, a dissolution will allow the court to make financial orders, and this is the difference between cohabitation and civil partnership.

Are you looking for legal advice?